Thursday, December 14, 2006

Exams.........(and celebrations)!!!

I had a week of exam preparation following our final classes during which I tried as much as possible to assimiliate the learnings of the past term. To break up the study, I ventured to Cambridge on the Tuesday of 9th week to watch the Greyhounds win their varsity clash against Cambridge LX XV. It was a close fought encounter but we came from behind to snatch an impressive victory at their home ground, Grange road. Unfortunately, given my hernia operation two weeks previous, I was not available for selection which I had hoped would have been the case.

The following evening myself and two classmates, Jesse Moore (Canada) and Anoop Swaminath (USA) had dinner with my college Master, Giles Henderson, to discuss a possible consulting project for an Indian businessman based in Dubai who wants to establish a fund to help villages that exist below the poverty line in developing countries. It was thoroughly interesting to learn about activities in the developing world as Jesse and Anoop recounted their experiences working for CARE and The World Bank respectively. We hope to learn more in January as to whether this project might take place in India over the summer.

As for exams, I can only say that I was very happy when they had ended! It was quite unique as you are required to wear sub-fusc during exams (see images below) and it is tradition to wear a flower in your buttonhole for each exam (white for your first indicating you're a first timer, red in the last as you've been bloodied and pink in the intervening days)!

6 exams in 4 days was no easy feat, particularly as we had learned quite a lot over the course of the term. Nonetheless, I was pleased with each of the exams and am quietly confident of having done as well as I had hoped on all but Financial Reporting, which was widely viewed as being deceptively difficult (and not entirely representative of what we were told we would be examined on)!

After our exams, we decided to let our hair down, consuming champagne, beers etc immediately after the exams as the following pics illustrate.



Tom, Jesse & John celebrate the end of exams


Tom, John & I after the last exam

The Mo brigade - AJ, me, Matt, Jesse & Allan

A collection of very happy (and relieved) classmates

The Kenyans enjoying Tusker beer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home